by Wayne Gendel
– Mosquitoes cause more deaths than any other animal or insect!
– Mosquitoes carry and can transfer malaria, yellow fever, dengue and West Nile virus
– Mosquitoes are attracted to heat, light, and two chemicals humans produce – carbon dioxide and lactic acid.
– There are over 1,700 species of mosquito in North America.
– Only the female mosquito bites.
– Mosquitoes are born in standing water and rarely travel more than 300 feet from their place of birth.
– Male mosquitoes live 1 week, females live 2 weeks. Maybe us guys should bite? 🙂
– Get rid of standing water around your house – mosquitoes might breed there.
– Dispose of unused outside water containers and drill holes in the bottom of containers that are left outdoors.
– Turn over plastic wading pools or tires or wheelbarrows when not in use, and do not allow water to stagnate in birdbaths, so refresh daily or every few days.
– Clean clogged roof gutters regularly.
– Ventilate ornamental pools or stock them with fish.
– Clean and chlorinate, bromate or ozone swimming pools not in use.
– If you have livestock, thoroughly clean their drinking troughs often.
AVOID PRIME TIME MOSQUITO HOURS
* outdoors at dusk * in the early evening * at dawn * Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants. * Warning! Mosquitoes can bite through thin cloth. * Mosquitoes are attracted to some humans if they eat bananas! * Some humans process banana oil that attracts mosquitoes. So some people might need to avoid bananas! Eat lots of salads and raw alkaline foods!
TYPES OF INSECT REPELLENT
A. Natural insect repellents major active ingredients that seem to work are essential oils, soy oil and neem. Quantum’s BUZZ AWAY uses a combination of essential oils.
B. Chemical repellents use DEET (diethyl-meta-toluamide) and have serious side effects!
Independent testing from the Good Housekeeping Institute and Canada’s University of Guelph showed that an all natural product called BUZZ AWAY lasts for up to two hours and is more effective than competitive products.
” Quantum’s Buzz Away” is the most effective natural repellent tested”
Tested against Avon’s Skin So Soft, Bite Block and others.
Good Housekeeping Institute
Field Study: “Buzz Away” beats it’s natural competitors Natrapel, Jungle Juice and Bite Blocker and tied with DEET based Skintastic for effectiveness.
University of Guelph, Ontario Agricultural College
Natural insect repellents such as BUZZ AWAY must be applied every 1-2 hours vs. every 2-4 for DEET based products.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and the American Academy of Pediatrics caution the use of DEET on children under 3 years old. DEET will get into the bloodstream and can even get through some fabrics. Children are especially susceptible to DEET side effects. Children’s immune systems and livers are not fully developed, so they don’t have the same ability to detoxify harmful chemicals as mature adults.
* DEET Side-Effects range from rashes and hives to uncontrollable twitching, muscle spasms, dizziness and even death!
Buzz Away Ingredients: Pure essential oils of Citronella, Cedarwood, Eucalyptus, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Water, Denatured alcohol, Modified castor oil to make it water soluble. No petrochemicals, preservatives, or other toxins.
Wayne’s Final Words
Unless you know how to spot and stay away from female mosquitoes!, applying natural BUZZ AWAY twice as often is the only minor trade off compared to DEET based products and the risk of twitching, muscle spasms, dizziness and even death. Have a Happy, Safe Summer!